Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What's your best advice for good habits to start with your child?

I'm trying to see into the future and where possible instill good habits or at least avoid the bad habits. What's your best advice/tip for this? For example, my friend's toddlers stay in their room and play on weekend mornings until an adult comes to get them. That allows mom %26amp; dad a few minutes of peace in the a.m. What do you or wish you had done?What's your best advice for good habits to start with your child?
The best habit I think that we've given our children is drinking water. It's so much better for them than juices and sugary drinks. My kids will ask for and prefer water to any other beverage about 90% of the time. My middle child will tell people, ';I like water because it's healthy.'; I suggest starting to offer sips of water in a soft spout sippy around 6 months when you introduce solid foods.





My step-sister made a rule when her son started solids that no one was allowed to say a food was ';yucky'; around him. I'm sure this probably helped to encourage him to try more new foods.





Picking up after themselves. I wish we had been better about this. Only a certain amount of toys allowed out at a time. You must put something away to get something else out.





Something else that we did really well.....reading to them all the time from a very young age and letting them see us reading for ourselves too. Helps to instill a love of books and a desire to learn to read.What's your best advice for good habits to start with your child?
I am trying to instill some respect in my sons. The are encouraged to repond to adults with ';yes or no sir or mame'; and for punishments I no longer spank. They do a certain amount of pushups for incorrect choices that they may make.
Eating habits/table manners: Don't go out of your way to make your child something else for dinner. Have them eat what you eat. That way, they won't grow up being picky eaters. Always eat at the table together during meals as a family. That is the time to bond. Have them ask to be excused from the table when they are finished eating.





Help them clean up their toys every night before bed time. This helps them with learning, listening and having some responsibility.
My best advice for good habits is to actually listen to what your children are telling you and to respond respectfully and politely to it. It's the best habit around and teaches them very well how to listen and be respectful, too.





I can't imagine forcing my kids to stay in their rooms until an adult comes to get them - but on the other hand, we didn't have a separate room for our toddlers as I believe babies/toddlers evolved to need their parents at night, so our babies were there when we woke up!
you have kids you will never have peace again ha ha as for your question then I will tell you the child will follow the example of the parents you cannot teach him one thing and do another as the child is very smart if he sees you doing good then the child will do good if he sees you doing bad and then telling him to do good he will fight you on it
I have a toddler now. And my biggest thing is hygiene... washing hands before meals, brushing her teeth and allowing me to wash from her toes to her head. My cousins used to hate having their hair washed and i always said i'd never let my child be like that. And she loves it.





That and manners. No please and thank you, then no more treats!
Brush teeth every day





and save money. Have them save half of their allowance. Teach them to avoid credit cards. Teach them the importance of paying with cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment