Wednesday, July 28, 2010

How do you start pumping and introducing a bottle. Best advice. Worried about milk supply running low.?

My baby is 3 weeks and I will be returning to work eventually. Would like to continue to breastfeed but also provide breast milk in a bottle for when I am at work or at other times when breastfeeding is not convenient.How do you start pumping and introducing a bottle. Best advice. Worried about milk supply running low.?
I would always feed on one side and pump the other, and then switch. I built up a really good supply doing so. Remember to use disposable bottle bags and freeze it. They work great for defrosting in warm water for use anytime you are not there, or able to feed. Rmember when you are still at home you can start pumping and bottle feeing to make sure the baby will take to it a while before you go back to work.How do you start pumping and introducing a bottle. Best advice. Worried about milk supply running low.?
one thing i want to tell is fenugreek seeds ..u can get it on indian store..this will improve breastmilk supply.Pump the milk wherever u r free at work ..u can carry manual hand pump to the office ..easy to carry and use.if he is not taking bottle; try different nipples and when he is hungry he defintly try to get milk from bottle..
i started at 4 weeks to pump .. it worked great .your supply will be fine and will increase as you pump
I am working full time and have purchased the Medela Pump-in-Style Advance. It is a great pump, but does not increase milk flow. I've heard that it is best to wait until your milk supply is well established. I began pumping at 7 weeks when I started back at work. The best thing to do is nurse as often as possible and pump the other side. I found that I was not producing enough milk so I started taking herbal supplements: Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, which were recommended by a lactation consultant. They helped a little, but I personally do not produce enough for my 6 month old son. I give him what I can, because anything is better than nothing.


I would at least try introducing 1 bottle a day, so you baby gets the feel for it. My son had a bottle when he was 2 days old because of his jaundice. You may need to try various nipple until you find one that works for you. I prefer the Playtex nurser bottles and Avent.


Good luck with breastfeeding, it can be very frustrating at times.
Make sure you build up a supply as the last answer suggested by tandem pumping. As long as you pump when you're away while your baby is taking a bottle and you nurse him when you're with him, you'll do fine. Invest in a quality electric pump. I use an Ameda Purely Yours which was about $180, lots of women also like the Medelas. If you think about it, 180 is still cheaper than $2,000+ in formula. Plus, my pump is on it's second baby and can be used for all the children we will have.





When you first give him a bottle, have someone else do it. Baby can smell you and will want you to nurse him, even if you're in the same room. Go sit on the porch or run an errand during the first bottle feeding. Be aware that baby probably will give the bottle feeder a hard time at first. The other secret is start giving the bottle a little BEFORE he's hungry so he isn't upset. After a couple days baby will take the bottle.





I often pump first thing in the morning one side while baby nurses the other. Then, I pump while at work during baby's normal feeding time. I'm lucky that I can run home to feed him at lunch time. After the noon-ish feeding, baby takes his longer nap and I'm home about 5:30 to nurse him after work. the key to building up a good supply in the freezer is to keep that first thing pumping/nursing session even on weekends. After you have some stored away (in 2-3 ounce increments) you can drop the weekend pumping.





Don't forget that pumping is never a good indication of how much milk you're producing, your baby always gets more out of you.





As long as when you're with the baby you nurse him and you pump while away, your supply should keep up. It's especially important on weekends to nurse your baby when you're home all day. That reinforces your milk supply and your nursing relationship. Good luck! I did it and so can you!
I find milk supply is at it's 'heaviest' during the night. During the day, I could only pump about an once ore two every 3 hours, however at night I could easily get 5 oz from each breast. Your milk supply won't run low because the more you demand, the more you get. Sucks you have to go back to work so soon....we get a year off here in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment